Tuesday, July 14, 2009

super sweet 16 (plus 19)

Here's what I remember about turning 25: aside from the random guy my friend met in the toothpaste aisle at CVS that afternoon showing up to my birthday dinner, I recall freaking out about hitting the arbitrary milestone that is quarterlife. So I drank. I can't imagine what kind of frame of mind I'll be in when I celebrate the tenth anniversary of my 25th, as my friend recently did. In addition to libations, some serious frosting will be required, like these cupcakes that I made for her very civilized, (sort of) grownup birthday dinner at Beast.
Punk Cakes
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 12 muffin pans with paper liners. Cream butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in flour, salt, and baking powder. Spoon batter into muffin tins and bake about 25 minutes.
(recipe adapted from cooks.com)
Buttercream Frosting
1 cup margarine or butter, softened
3 tablespoons milk
4 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
Food coloring (optional)

Cream the butter with an electric mixer and add sugar and milk. Add more confectioners sugar or milk for a thicker or thinner consistency. Add food coloring if desired (I added a few drops of yellow).
The essence of punk cakes lies in the spiky decor. Add enough powdered sugar so that the frosting is on the thick side, then spoon it into a plastic pastry bag and snip about 1/2 inch off the end (no attachments necessary). Squeeze blueberry-sized blobs and pull up to create a point. I got this idea from the delicious genius of Lola Cookies & Treats in Leesburg, Virginia.
Baking tunes: In honor of the birthday girl's new Brooklyn digs, "Electric Feeling" by MGMT. It just makes you happy. Unless there's something wrong with you.

6 comments:

  1. these are SO CUTE! i am totally going to use this icing technique. When are we opening a bakery?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum. cupcake. i want a cupcake. crumbs run at lunch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes please. That will be excellent for my race training.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and as the older-than-the-advent-of-butter chick for whom these were created, I can attest that not only are they goo-rgeous, they were magically delicious. Really, they were out of this world. We thought there was cornmeal in there, the flavors were so full and distinct(or was that the booze talking?) Either way: Yeee-um!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's it, I'm buying pastry bags.

    ReplyDelete