Sunday, May 17, 2009

rhymes with butternut

A few years ago my friend Hillsies bought me the Field Guide to Produce because she thinks it's hilarious that I'm a vegetarian. She left the receipt inside, so I'm pretty sure she expected me to just return it, but now it's a handy resource when I see intimidating-sounding items at Whole Foods. I also learned that the word "squash" is derived from the Algonquin word "askutasquash," which means something that is eaten green or in an unripe state. So, you know, now you can enjoy these cookies on a deeper level.

Butternut Squash Raisin Cookies
1 cup margarine or unsalted butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup egg substitute
1 cup butternut squash puree
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups unbleached flour
1 cup raisins

Cream butter and sugars together until fluffy and then mix in egg. Mix in squash and vanilla.
Stir in salt, spices, baking soda, and flour. Fold in raisins.
Chill at least 3 hours or overnight. Scoop tablespoonfuls of dough onto a Silpat-ed cookie sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until edges are light brown.
Remove and cool. The cookies are sweet, but next time I think I'll add cream cheese frosting. Because frosting makes everything better.
Baking tunes: The O.C. Soundtrack that I received as a kind-of joke at a white elephant exchange at work a few years ago. Oh, how I miss you beautiful So-Cal disasters.

1 comment: