Friday, March 13, 2009

main squeeze

I'm obsessed with all things lemon. From the Bliss body lotion I covet to yellow Starbursts, lemon makes everything better. Especially dishsoap, apparently. My friend Megan is a big fan of these Lemon-Cornmeal Cookies from Martha (hey, gurrrl!), so I whipped up a batch for her birthday. (Meggo, sorry if I'm ruining the surprise.)
The butter and cornmeal add richness and texture to the cookie, but combined with the lemon, somehow they end up tasting very fresh and light. The recipe doesn't call for icing, but I think a lemon glaze keeps the cookie from tasting too dry, so I squeezed half a lemon and stirred in powdered sugar until I got a thick, but still drizzle-able consistency.
Baking tunes: "Heartbreaker" by Ryan Adams, in honor of his recent wedding to Mandy Moore. I'm still baffled by that relationship, but such is love. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. yum. i love the idea of combining cornmeal and lemon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baking these tonight. I already love the dough! The glaze I think is going to be a good addition.

    ReplyDelete