Monday, March 16, 2009

what leprechauns would eat

I'm an Irish lass, but there's not much my ancestral cuisine that I get excited about. Boiled potatoes? I'll pass. Corned beef? Sorry, vegetarian. Cabbage? Eh. Soda bread is the exception, so every year I make my mom's recipe (after emailing her because I always lose the instructions). I like it straight from the oven with a drizzle of honey. So much more enjoyable than drinking Irish Car Bombs until you puke. Believe me.

Irish Soda Bread
3 T margarine or butter, softened
2 1/2 cups flour
2 T sugar
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 cup buttermilk

Cut margarine into flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in raisins and enough buttermilk to make a soft dough.
Turn onto a lightly floured surface nead until smooth one to two minutes. Shape into a round loaf about 6 1/2 inches in diameter. Cut an X on the top. Bake in 375 oven until golden about 30 minutes, knock on it to see if it sounds hollow. Brush with melted butter.

3 comments:

  1. yum! my coworker siobhan brought in soda bread today too. nothing better than a big slice slathered in butter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I wish I had this last weekend! I made some soda bread for the first time, but left out the raisins and the honey. And didn't use buttermilk, either. It was still good when it was warm and slathered in butter but this looks soooo much more appetizing! I'm thinking tonight of making some brown bread like they served in the pubs in Ireland...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brown bread sounds good, Guinness ice cream sounds even better: http://icecreamireland.com/2007/03/13/brown-bread-guinness-ice-cream/

    ReplyDelete