Monday, March 30, 2009

if you like pina coladas...

After a week of drinking my fruit (with rum) in the islands, I'm hooked on the tropical flavors, but aware of the need to consume them in a less hangover-inducing form. I adapted this Banana Pineapple Muffins recipe from Cooks.com to boost the flavor and cut the fat a bit. You know, so you can eat a muffin top without developing a muffin top.

Banana Pineapple Muffins

1 1/2 c flour
3/4 c sugar
1/3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c egg substitute
1/2 c apple sauce
1/2 c crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 c mashed banana
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Add liquids and stir until combined. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until muffins spring back when lightly touched.
Baking tunes: "Brushfire Fairytales" by Jack Johnson, one of the roughly two V.I.-approved artists. I really need to get my hands on the calypso version of "Independent Women."

No comments:

Post a Comment