Sunday, April 19, 2009

you got yr. cherry bomb

In Ohio, cherry pie filling is a cheap, common pantry staple. In New York, it's like gelatinous gold. I learned this after going to four grocery stores to find the comically expensive and elusive key ingredient for the Cherry Squares I made for the Casse-rock-n-roll party last night. I'm still in crushed-Dorito-and-sherbet withdrawal.

Cherry Squares
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening (i.e. Crisco. That's right)
4 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 can cherry pie filling
Powdered sugar

Gradually add sugar to shortening in large bowl. Cream well -- at least five minutes at medium speed (my hand mixer only has one speed -- too fast -- and my arm got tired, so I capped it at about 2 1/2 minutes).
Add eggs one at a time. Add the flour and lemon juice and mix well.

Spread the batter in a greased pan or cookie sheet with sides. Mark off squares.

Place one heaping teaspoon of the filling in the center of each square. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. When cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut. And eat.
Baking tunes: Spoon, natch. Recipe courtesy of the adorbsies scrapbook/cookbook my mom made me for Christmas.

4 comments:

  1. What you do in a kitchen that small is amazing. And I love your Mom's scrapbook!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your commitment to authentic high-fructose corn syrup pie filling. It tasted like home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Maybe it's a good thing that cherry pie filling is cost prohibitive in NYC. Otherwise I'd revert to eating it from the can.

    ReplyDelete