Tuesday, April 7, 2009

mmm...chocolate

So apparently not all brownies come from boxed mixes. I know, right? I was also shocked to learn that this brownie recipe (adapted from cooks.com) didn't include baking soda or baking powder. This seemed suspect to me, but they turned out quite delicious, so who am I to question food science?

Frosted Fudge Brownies


1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Splenda
1/4 cup egg substitute
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 tablespoons cocoa
1 1/4 cup flour

Cream butter, sugar, and Splenda. Add egg and vanilla. Blend in flour and cocoa. Spread batter in 8x8 glass pan and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes or until a fork or toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

For the frosting, mix two tablespoons of cocoa with a splash of milk and about 1 1/2 cups of confectioners sugar or until you get your desired thickness.

Baking tunes: To match the guilty pleasure nature of the brownies, I listened to an '80s trinity of the Bangles, Belinda Carlisle, and The Cure. Oooh, heaven is indeed a place on Earth.

5 comments:

  1. Ha! I just made brownies this week. I've made these a bunch--orange zest with chocolate is divine:

    http://www.nytimes.com/1999/12/08/dining/all-sweetness-no-stress-a-cookie-solution.html?scp=2&sq=orange%20mocha%20brownies&st=cse

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK I give up on making the link work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want some. also, i am considering making a special trip to dc just to try the Buzz bacon chocolate cupcakes. yum:
    http://tastingtable.com/entry_detail/everywhere/188/It_was_inevitable_Cupcake_meet_bacon_.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I saw those cupcakes at Buzz last month -- the March Madness cupcakes, no?

    ReplyDelete